Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Leaving and it's Lead Up

Hey there reader, consumer of my words, thanks for doing so. I'm doing this for those curious about mi vida en España and for myself so I have something to look back on before this summer is over. 

I'll be posting updates about Spain and Madrid, but also other creative writings, which may or may not have anything to do with Spain. Thanks for reading!

Tucked away in downtown Salem sits the Village Tavern. It had become the spot during the few month lull before Spain and there I was the night before takeoff. Pool balls were clacking, and friends were buying drinks, "Yeah I'll have another." My ideal low-key send off. I was sick of answering "Are you excited?"

Yes, yes I definitely was but I'm sorry to say I had begun to look past my time there. It had become easy to sort of forget about going. I mean I always knew, but it was some off in the distance thing like graduation when you’re a freshman. 
But then I started to pack. 
Then I was dropped off at the airport and flew all night. 
Then all the big bold print on signs was in Spanish.  
Then the cab driver spoke no English (wait, that’s pretty much the same). I recited the address I had been practicing over and over in my head, "Calle Nuria, Noventa y tres."

"Veinte?"

"No. Noventa, por favor." And we were off, the Spanish radio on low. We arrived and I clumsily asked "How much?"

"Treinte."  Mouth shut I handed him the thirty euro (euros?). He said Gracias and I turned to gaze, squint, through the high sun, at my home for the next three months. A big brick building with rows of small balconies and a surrounding complex of lawns, trees, y una piscina. 

At the door I heard a gurgle of Spanish behind me, and turned to see a face awaiting an answer. “Sorry, no hablo Español.” I was buzzed in by who turned out to be Pablo. He greeted me at the door  
 and showed me my room, the bathroom, and the kitchen. I unpacked and Pablo got back to watching Garfield so I zonked out.

Cinco cosas:

La cuenta, por favor: The bill please

Que es esto?: What is this?

Puedo tomar...: Can I have...?

Un café solo: espresso


Una cerveza por favor: A beer please

No comments:

Post a Comment